Monday 1 July 2013

Mccalls 6752

I love the new summer mccalls collection, loads of things that look quick and easy to sew, but also quick and easy to throw on in a morning, ie non iron. I only like to iron, sorry, press -ahem, when I sew. Win win. 
I love these dresses.....







The first one is like a wrap dress, with a really loose top and nice skirt...I just cut a 16 at the top, 14 waist and skirt. I didn't lengthen the bodice. I should have, but I was rushing to start and finish.
I didn't need to rush as it turned out because it only took me an evening....and I am slow to sew!

Inside wise, this baby isn't perfect. Not mccalls fault, mine. I was in that rush you see. Anyway if no one can tell it isn't perfect from a meter away, I have put a couple of stitches in the wrap front to ensure no gaping and protect the public and I'm good to go. 

The fabric is jersey from Fabworks in dewsbury. If anyone lives in yorkshire they need to go to Fabworks. It is massive and reasonably priced and the ladies are actually amazing. But set time aside, it is huge. 

I think the aforementioned looseness makes me look a bit top heavy, Anyway the lack of need to iron means I will wear this a lot this summertime. I might make another, graded down a size at the top and lengthen in the body a couple of inches....( I am 5'10, so I have to lengthen bodices by 2" usually.)





 what have I seen?



This one is the other version of the same pattern, a loose cowl neck with - I think they are called this - dolman sleeves.
It makes me look like I have wide shoulders. Actually I do have wide shoulders, so the dress don't lie. I wont make it again though. plus I think it looks better with a belt to break up the print.

I lengthened this one and cut a 14 all over. I also just measured the elastic round my waist, I think it prefer it with less ease than Mccalls do.


Hmmm the print, I saw it for £2 per meter at jacks fabrics in Leeds market, I bought it because it was feathered. When I got it home I realised it wasn't feathers it was fly fishing equipment, including hooks, and fish (pike maybe).  I am not sure what the purpose of it was when the designer made these decisions: was it for fly fishermens t shirts/underpants? was it sold in fly fishermans shops or was it sold in fly fishermans wives shops, so that they could sew it up for the man? any hooo I like the reaction when I wear it....usually "nice dress, I like the feather fabric", "wait is that fly fish hooks?" Yes it is.





No comments:

Post a Comment